Here Are the Video Game Industry’s Representatives
Today’s meeting at the White House is all about video games and their effect on people under 21-years of age. As a result of the recent massacre in Florida, Trump cited violent video games as an inducer of gun violence. Thus, a meeting to discuss their impact is being held today, and here’s the list of people attending.
The following was delivered by CNN’s Jake Taper, per WH.
Members of Congress:
- Senator Marco Rubio (R-Florida)
- Representative Vicky Hartzler (R-Missouri)
- Representative Martha Roby (R-Alabama)
- Mr. Strauss Zelnick, Take-Two Interactive (Former Chairman of ESA), CEO of Rockstar Games
- Mr. Brent Bozell, Media Research Center
- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman (Ret.), “On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society” and “Assassination Generation: Video Games, Aggression, and the Psychology of Killing”
- Ms. Patricia Vance, President of Entertainment Software Rating Board
- Mr. Mike Gallagher, President and CEO of the Entertainment Software Association
- Mr. Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media (parent company of Bethesda Softworks)
- Melissa Henson, Mother from Parents Television Council
Trump’s decision to organize this meeting came after February 22nd, when said, “I’m hearing more and more people say the level of violence on video games is really shaping young people’s thoughts. And then you go the further step, and that’s the movies. You see these movies, and they’re so violent, and yet a kid is able to see the movie if sex isn’t involved, but killing is involved, and maybe they have to put a rating system for that.”
Will the meeting amount to any concrete legislation? It’s anyone’s guess. Per IGN, however, we know that participants Brent Bozell and Missouri Republican Rep. Vicky Hartzler are vocal against the portrayal of violence in media. Noteworthy, too, is that President Trump’s brother Robert S. Trump is on the board of directors at Zenimax, whose CEO is attending. It will be an interesting meeting indeed. Stay tuned as we update the story.