DMC5’s Director Was Allegedly Going to Leave Capcom If He Didn’t Get to Make Another DMC Game
Hideaki Itsuno, the famed director of Devil May Cry 5, was previously going to split with Capcom after the 2013 reboot unless he got to make his own sequel to Devil May Cry 4, a DMC5 voice actor claimed in a recent interview.
“[Itsuno] was ready to leave Capcom,” the voice actor, Reuben Langdon, claimed. “He was not happy. And I think he put in his resignation and then they said, ‘Wait, wait, you’re a valuable guy [and] we don’t want you to leave. What can make you stay?'”
Itsuno wanted to make a Devil May Cry game in his style and not “the [bullshit] stuff” that Capcom “did before”, Langdon also claimed.
“Hats off to [Itsuno] and hats off to Capcom for going all out and they literally gave him everything he requested and wanted for this game,” Langdon said. “And it’s paying off.”
Langdon has been the voice actor of Dante, one of the major characters of the series, since Devil May Cry 3.
These claims contradict Itsuno’s previous positive comments regarding the reboot. In fact, in an interview last year, Itsuno said that he initially wanted to make a sequel to the reboot but eventually decided to make Devil May Cry 5 instead.
Matt Walker, a Capcom producer who worked on Devil May Cry 5, denied on Sunday that Itsuno previously wanted to leave due to the reboot.
“I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding here- DmC has nothing to do with this conversation,” Walker tweeted. “Itsuno-san really was proud of what Capcom and Ninja Theory accomplished together on that game. I’m not BSing here.”
COGconnected has contacted Capcom about Langdon’s claims and will update the story if we receive a response.
What do you think of this news? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.