A World Made of Stone and Black Ooze
The upcoming action-adventure RPG Grime just revealed an official cinematic trailer and it does an excellent job of setting the stage for what awaits. If this is anything to go by, players can expect the full game to be a grueling adventure full of body horror, towering foes, and the desperation to survive.
We described Grime as looking like Tim Burton had a baby with a platformer, and we stand by that comparison, though this title’s visual style is significantly less cute than most Burton productions. In fact, Grime’s overall aesthetic seems to be made of rough-hewn stone, exposed bone, spooky void, and ominous shadowy tendrils, which makes for a very striking look.
The trailer opens with streams of golden light swirling over a dull grey stone passage, apparently bringing life to a barren world–life that takes the form of uncanny grasping hands forming directly out of the rock. At the far side of the passage, the rock opens up to reveal a huge, scuttling, cow-like creature with insectoid legs where its head should be.
A sudden burst of light catches the creature’s attention before turning into the game’s player character and dropping out of the sky. The fall is shown in first person and anyone prone to motion sickness may want to skip to about 30 seconds in, because it can be very nauseating–especially the part where the player character is briefly caught by a monster that then throws them to the cavern floor.
The rest of the video is dedicated to showing off the combat, as the player is attacked by a series of increasingly large and dangerous foes. The game itself will feature:
- Eye-Popping Surrealism – Uncover mysterious secrets in weeping caves and face-covered deserts. Meet otherworldly characters in distinct civilizations across an organic, interconnected world – all rendered in unearthly 3D. Face foes born of the world itself, and swallow them whole.
- Living Weapons – Seamlessly swap weapons made of living creatures that mutate form during combat, from clawing swords to centipede whips.
- Death-Defying Combat – Punish enemies by parrying their attacks, smash them from the ground or even airborne, and absorb them to grow your strength as you wage war on a living world.
- Unique Skill Progression – Hunt down and absorb challenging monsters to improve your skills and bring true customization to your playstyle.
- Challenge Astonishing Bosses – Defeat creatures dozens of times your size. Adapt to their strategies, withstand their assault, and consume them to gain game-changing abilities that affect both combat and traversal.
Sounds like an uncanny and awesome time. We’re looking forward to seeing more.
Grime will be available on August 2nd for PC and Stadia.