Have You Ever Seen the Monsters?
Indie horror games often like to focus on child characters because it’s easier to immerse yourself in a hostile world when you’re basically helpless to fight back. Of course, the other side of this trend is that children can get themselves into trouble very easily.
Daedalic Games’ upcoming title Children of Silentown tasks you with stepping into the shoes of Lucy, a young girl living in a village surrounded by forest. People have been disappearing here, and Lucy now believes she is old enough to investigate. Although the forest is supposed to be full of monsters, things can’t actually be that dangerous out there, right?
This new trailer does a great job of showing off Children of Silentown’s adorably creepy art style and some cute gameplay footage of Lucy scampering around, interacting with people, and using items. It also draws attention to Lucy’s ability to sing, which will be a key game mechanic, and to a mean cat that will make Lucy’s journey more difficult.
More importantly, it also includes ominous images of a forested road that has been inexplicably stained red–and what may be glowing eyes peering through a veil of red trees. Whatever is going on in the woods, the developers seem intent on warning the player to stay out of it. But come on, telling us not to go into the forest is basically the same thing as daring us to go in, right?
Key features include:
- Explore Silentown in search of hints, but beware: do not enter the forest.
- A unique, unsettling 2D art style fitting for a mysterious, dark tale.
- Music plays a crucial role, and learning how to sing will help Lucy in times of need.
- Combine items to obtain widely unexpected results!
- Many quirky characters (and animals!) to interact with. Be nice to them before they disappear.
- Play minigames with the other children of the village!
- A very mean cat, programmed to mess with Lucy at any given chance.
- Solve curious, original puzzles.
Children of Silentown will be available on PC and consoles in early 2022.
Source: Press Release