Choose Your Fate, Then Laugh About It
There’s nothing quite like a good Metroidvania, with the possible exception of a good Metroidvania with a good sense of humor. Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials is as hilarious as it is fun, adventurous, and often downright creepy, so we’re overjoyed to hear that it will soon be creeping its way onto PS4 and Xbox One. This snarky fantasy adventure combines fast-paced platforming action with a vast, sprawling subterranean world full of spooky monsters, eerie environments, and all sorts of weird and creepy stuff. Players will explore over 400 rooms, battle enormous bosses, use dialogue choices to interact with a comical cast of characters, and use Pip the magic bat’s powers to solve puzzles, all while searching for a way to escape the abyss. It’s some of the most fun you can have in a dungeon, as this launch trailer for the upcoming PS4 and Xbox One versions demonstrates.
The game combines a genuinely ominous atmosphere with some great character designs, fun puzzles, and challenging boss fights that will have you on the edge of your seat. Pip the magic bat is easily the game’s MVP, as she’s the main puzzle-solving mechanic, the main light source, and the main source of cute squeaking noises. In short, Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials is some of the most fun we’ve ever had in a dungeon. If you like Metroidvanias, dislike Metroidvanias, or haven’t tried a Metroidvania before, we recommend you give this title a shot.
Game features include:
- Gain new skills for your barbarian and elemental powers for Pip, the (magic) bat!
- A narrative-driven metroidvania with dialogue choices and plenty of humor and snark.
- Big numbers! 400+ rooms, 20+ hours of evolving gameplay, 10+ bosses, 60+ minutes of music and almost 30,000 words of text that a barbarian would never bother to read!
- RPG elements with a level-up minigame.
- Contains more fruit throwing than probably any other game.
- Companions that join you in your quest and help you out in fights.
- Multiple endings based on your choices and actions.
- The thrown fruit are NOT wasted, they are eaten by the bat (who is magic).
- A ton of secrets and hidden loot just about everywhere.
- The (magic) bat has a whopping FIVE different squeaking sounds!
- Fewer repetitive jokes than this description has.
Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials is now available for PC and Nintendo Switch. It will be available for PS4 and Xbox One on July 15th, 2021.