An Old Saga Gains New Life
SaGa Frontier. This RPG classic from 1998 is finally getting a remaster for, like, every system, and we’re living for it. But what does the remaster actually entail? In this case, it means new events, new cutscenes, and adding a whole new storyline. Players will be able to pick from the original seven different protagonists, each of whom has their own storyline and goal, or choose new protagonist Fuse and go on a brand new adventure. Which, admittedly, will cross over with the rest of the protagonists’ storylines after you complete their quests and unlock new episodes for Fuse. Still sounds pretty great to us, especially since New Game Plus mechanics will let you carry-over your stats, no problem.
Fuse’s story mode will allow players to explore ‘what if’ scenarios where Fuse intervenes in the other characters’ stories, letting you form unique parties that are only available in this campaign. There will also be exclusive multiple endings as a result of decisions that can only be made thanks to Fuse’s interference.
Other features will include:
- Team-up with IRPO members
- Other members of the IRPO can also join a party in Fuse’s storyline. Emilia’s fiancé “Ren” finally joins the party in the remastered version.
- All Protagonists Join the Party
- All protagonists can potentially join a party if certain conditions are met in the Fuse storyline. In the original game, certain characters did not join a party depending on the protagonist, but one of the compelling aspects of the remastered version is that it enables players to recruit all other protagonists to a party in the Fuse storyline.
- All Final Boss Battles Possible
- Players can potentially battle the other protagonists’ final bosses if certain conditions are met in the Fuse storyline. (A system that enables players to once again challenge the “final boss” of a protagonist that has joined a party in the Fuse storyline.)
- Players can challenge up to 6; the more players defeated, the stronger the final boss becomes in the route, unfolding into a battle that poses an even greater challenge. The final boss battle BGM from the Fuse storyline has been newly composed by Kenji Ito.
SaGa Frontier Remastered will be released for PS4, PS5, PC, iOS, and Android on Thursday, April 15th, 2021.