Upcoming Xbox One System Update Adds “Mini Keyboard”
Microsoft has announced that members of the Xbox One Preview Skip Ahead and Preview Alpha Rings should have already received a new system update on their console. This brings about a refined on-screen keyboard called the Mini Keyboard that Microsoft is piloting.
According to a post on Xbox Wire, the Mini Keyboard “floats over the UI” and will “position itself smartly around textboxes.” In other words, it will help condense screen space and even adapt around user interface elements. Microsoft will leave it to users if they want to use the new keyboard or the old one in case of Accessibility concerns. It can be changed back in Settings -> Ease of Access -> Magnifier -> Larger Keyboard. You can see the difference below.
After enough internal testing, this new update (codenamed “19H1”) will begin rolling out to the public. Microsoft also detailed other fixes and known issues with the latest Insider update:
Dashboard – Blank Tabs
- We have fixed the issue in which some users were seeing Dashboard tabs not loading console on boot.
Movies and TV
- Fixed the issue with 4k UHD “The Martian Extended Edition” playback losing audio sync with video repeatedly in audio passthrough mode
My Games and Apps
- Improved the installation of FastStart titles and more titles added. The title list of titles is located here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/faststart
System – Home
- Fixed Home crashes that some users would experience when system sounds played.
- Sometimes users may encounter the incorrect Profile colour when powering on the console.
My Games and Apps
- We are tracking an issue in which certain apps are displaying the error code 0xD0000189 when launching. Workaround reboot the console and launch the app.
- We are aware of an issue with skype that when a user clicks on a conversation and/or pressing X to start a video call seem to freeze and eventually crash Skype.
Are you looking forward to the next update? Share your thoughts in the comments below.