The Keylocker Kickstarter
The Keylocker Kickstarter is wrapping up, and it is definitely worth a look. The Kickstarter is already a success, but with three days left to go, they are very close to being able to do a Switch port.
The Kickstarter itself is very well done and gives you all the information you could want on Keylocker as well as a demo so you can see for yourself if the game is something you would like to play.
So what is Keylocker? Keylocker is a rhythm-focused turn-based RPG that is inspired by the Mario&Luigi RPG series and Chrono Trigger. You will play as the singer and songwriter, BOBO. B0B0 is one of the Doppelgangers, twins born as perfect human beings fit to obey the purpose of the caste they were assigned to. Her purpose is to serve in the lowest caste for the prosperity of Saturn, but B0B0 doesn’t quite agree to that. Amidst a revolution against the Saturnian Satellites, the ultimate form of law, B0B0 bands together with a newfound music robot that’ll fit right in her illegal band as a drummer.
The combat is turn-based, but you will have to press buttons to a rhythm for proper offense and defense. There will also be no random encounters as enemies can be seen on the map. You can also befriend or betray the citizens and play concerts, so there seems to be plenty of stuff to do here as you go towards the game’s multiple endings.
Here are some of Keylocker’s key features:
- Control Electricity with your own music! Transform it into attack or defense as needed, swapping between different movesets and tactics.
- Classic Turn-Based Combat with a twist: Real-Time execution of moves in rhythm game style, aim your shots, time your attacks, parry, and block your enemies in this unforgiving planet.
- No Random-Encounters; fight your enemies head-on with seamless in-world battles inspired by Chrono Trigger.
- Befriend the citizens, or betray them, hacking into their profiles to acquire resources or to change the course of the story with multiple endings.
- Play with your band to the friends you made at the Music Show minigame, featuring compositions by Elektrobear (Momodora, Virgo Versus The Zodiac, Osteoblasts), voiced by Psamathes (The Pathless).
- But watch out on the Danger Meter! The all-ears church-police will certainly come after devious denizens who do not respect the Law of Silence.
- Completely customize your characters with a great variety of equipment; unlock special Talents using the Keys harvested from enemies you DELETE in combat.
- Unique interactions with every object of the world: exploring Saturn can lead to secrets, rewards, or entire pieces of knowledge about the planet.
Keylocker is a game I have some faith in, and I’m excited to see how it comes out. It is a game by the creator of Virgo Versus The Zodiac, which I found to be a delightful little RPG, so I have some high ups as this is an established dev in my mind when it comes to RPGs. It also doesn’t hurt that I’m a huge fan of the cyberpunk genre.