Creating a Skill Gap
NBA 2K22 unveils some of the new gameplay changes for the next-gen version to spice things up again. Personally, I’m all for these changes. The contest and block system, in particular, has needed to be adjusted for years now.
Here are some of the gameplay changes:
- Defense & Defensive AI: Completely rebuilt shot contest and blocking systems, a significant update to the fundamental defensive rotations, and much more;
- Dribbling: Players will experience a unique feel and rhythm when sizing up, significantly faster overall pace and much tighter control in navigating the court, and a ton of other new combos, cancels, and move chains;
- Post Play: Upgrades highlight loads of new content, including new movement and a new arsenal of back-to-basket moves;
- Shooting: There’s a new shot meter that will dynamically expand when players take high-quality shots with good shooters but will shrink when heavily contested, shooting with a low-rated shooter, or fatigued. NBA 2K22 puts more emphasis on Shot IQ, meaning the teams that work for open looks and take smart shots are going to see much more success than the teams that force up bad shots;
- Finishing: Along with a focus on creating more of a skill gap for finishing at the rim, players can also completely customize their dunk repertoire with an all-new Dunk Style Creator;
- Builds, Badges & Takeover: Adjustments to create more balanced builds, and an increase of the total badge count to 80, offer many ways for players to impact the game. Additionally, NBA 2K22 for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles introduces Takeover Perks*, which you can unlock to strengthen your existing Takeover abilities.
Many of these changes sound great. Actually having a skill gap when finishing and making being open actually matter when shooting are great changes that should hopefully lead to teamwork actually mattering. As it is now, you just get the catch-and-shoot perk to Hall of Fame, and then you do as the bad suggests. If you are good at timing, you will just rarely miss. No teamwork is necessary.
NBA 2K22 is currently scheduled for release on September 10 for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC
Source: Press Release