Sooner or Later, We All Have the Dream
Did you see the portents? Did you know what was coming? It’s too late now. All we can do is bow our heads and embrace Cultist Simulator‘s impending Switch release. Hot on the heels of the game’s complete mobile launch, Cultist Simulator: Initiate Edition has been announced. This will contain the base game and the first three DLC packs: the Dancer, the Priest, and the Ghoul. Delve once more into the hidden secrets of an unearthly 1920s-themed setting. Commune with hidden gods, flay the skin from your flesh, ransack your dreams for the next clue–and, yes, start your very own cult. It’s a surreal, mysterious, terrifying narrative-driven card game. You may not find jump scares here, but what you do uncover will linger beneath your skin.
Cultist Simulator has been affectionately described as “a game of apocalypse and yearning”, and we would definitely agree with that assessment. The Switch edition will feature:
- Challenging roguelike gameplay – Cultist Simulator doesn’t hold your hand. Experiment, expire and transcend death with a story-driven legacy system
- Intense, immersive narrative – Combine cards to tell your own story. There are many paths through this game of ambition, appetite and abomination, and many ways your tale can end
- A rich Lovecraftian world – Corrupt your friends and consume your enemies. Cultist Simulator brings the peripheral horror of Lovecraft’s tales to an entirely new setting
- A revamped interface – The game’s interface has been entirely reworked to better suit the Nintendo Switch
- Choose the way you play – With a controller or touchscreen, using buttons only or a cursor, make you comfortable while you work on summoning ancient deities
- Dancer, Priest & Ghoul DLCs – Earn immortality in an obscure cabaret, open the minds and hearts of your congregation or consume the corpses of your followers to gain a little extra from their more interesting scars
- Exile DLC – New world, new foes, new rules. Disappear into the mists of the Nameless Name of the Velvet; use your lethal loot to win favour and wealth and build a new life; or choose defiance, and attempt the impossible
Does that sound like fun to you? It sure does to us, but then, we like horror games. So go ahead. Solve unholy mysteries and seek the forbidden questions. What’s the worst that could happen? One of your important cards could time out? Ha. What are the odds of that happening?
Cultist Simulator: Initiate Edition will launch on February 2nd, 2021, at $19.99 / €19.99. The Exile DLC will also be available as an optional add-on, featuring a whole new game mode and plenty of bonus content. It will cost $6.99 / €6.99.
How do you feel about experimental games? Let us know down in the comments, or hit us up on Twitter or Facebook.