Silent Hill 3 Wasn’t Always Supposed to Be a Mainline Game, According to Its Art Director
The survival horror classic Silent Hill 3 was originally “supposed to be an arcade spin off/a rail shooter” and not a direct sequel to the first game in the series, according to veteran Silent Hill developer, Masahiro Ito.
“The sales of SH2 was really not good start,” Ito explained on Twitter on Wednesday. “So I guess it was one of the causes of that. Also that plan wasted much time & some budgets of SH3. It wasn’t SH: Arcade.”
Ito also said that he thought this original plan was “terrible” and added, “When I was told that plan, I was really dumbfounded. Because I was one of core members of that team. I’m really glad that plan was cancelled.”
Ito had previously revealed this info in an interview published late last month but this recent info adds more context for the original decision to make the third entry in the Silent Hill series a rail shooter.
What do you think of this news? Would you have preferred the rail-shooter spin-off game or are you happy with the Silent Hill 3 that was released? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.