The Witcher Netflix Series Will Not Be “Watered down,” Says Showrunner

Witcher TV Series Will Stay True to Source Material

Whether you’ve read the books by Andrzej Sapkowski or played the games by CD Projekt RED, you’ll note that the world of The Witcher is impeccably gritty. Well, prospective viewers of the upcoming Netflix series are holding out hope that the TV adaptation maintains that Medieval atmosphere. So much so that they tweeted to the showrunner, Lauren S. Hissrich. Here was her response.

Witcher story

Hissrich responded to the following quote by user Clemens:

“I hope they don’t water down the harsh environmant [sic] that were medival times. The world of the Witcher is not a nice fantasy world where everyone is happy. Geralt as a voice of reason is fine, the world beeing a believeable version of medival Poland is important.”

“There will be no watering down. I give you my word.” Sounds like a promise to me. In bringing Witcher to the silver screen, it seems we’ll be getting that uncompromising, dark atmosphere that parallels Medieval Poland. Though there will be magic, it will be brutal; though it will be Fantasy, it will be dark and—hopefully—realistic, as paradoxical as that sounds.

Furthermore, Hissrich went ahead and tweeted images of how her work research is going. See down below.

As we learned from DualShockers, Hissrich is taking direct inspiration from certain Andrzej Sapkowski novels. These include The Blood of Elves, The Last Wish, and Sword of Destiny. Since the Pilot is being written as we speak, it is unclear when the show will finally air. Check back for updates as we ride into the new year. And let us know, what are your hopes for the Netflix Witcher series? Comment down below.


  • GraduateAnalyst

    This part is good news, though some other things that would be unacceptable and automatic no go for me to watch it are if they give any of the main entourage of Geralt, Vesemir, Yennefer, Ciri, Triss, etc to non-white actors or actresses. I don’t care if it’s Idris Elba, Paula Patton, Zendaya, etc (Though Zendaya would be good as Tea and Vea, the Zerrikanian women with Borch). Unless they are playing Zerrikanians, Ofier, or other races based on places like Northern Africa and the Middle East or some new non-canon character, then I’ll be pissed.

    Immersion, character development, and geographic representation (something like 96% of Poland is Polish and the other 4% are mostly other white groups) are more important than gender/ethnic diversity. When SJW politics are prioritized, the material sucks. Just look at the shitty comic sales with Marvel’s SJW line with female Thor and whatnot.

    • Fabian Gonzalez

      Completely agree, All the characteres must remain unchanged